I recently did a switch of Windows to Ubuntu and then upgraded to Fiesty Fawn (7.04) earlier this week. I must say, Ubuntu rocks but has it’s drawbacks. I hate to give Windows any credit when it comes to better performance, but unfortunately out of the box, a Windows XP system for example does perform faster than a default install of Ubuntu. That does not mean Ubuntu cannot be tweaked to boost performance to surpass Windows.
We’ve compiled a list of resources that can be used to improve performance on your Ubuntu operating system.
- Hacking Ubuntu to Improve Performance – This article includes various hacks to boost Ubuntu’s performance, such as viewing running processes, identifying resources, finding process startups, tuning kernel parameters, and speeding up boot time.
- Ultimate Ubuntu performance tweaking guide – Detailed step by step instructions on what to do in order to improve performance on your system.
- Improve Ubuntu Performance – This is an index of threads posted on ubuntuforums.org on how to get the best performance out of your Ubuntu machine.
- Optimizing Desktop Performance – Skip to the section titled Ubuntu Services for Performance Tuning to find some performance tips. Excellent article series covering performance techniques on major flavors of Linux.
- Feisty performance – Fly like a butterfly – A collection of settings used to tune the speed and performance of Kubuntu/Ubuntu Feisty.
- Only Ubuntu Linux – Performance tip for Ubuntu Edgy and Feisty users by simply editing your /etc/hosts file.
- Desktop performance tweaks – Here are a couple of performance tweaks that are nice for desktops/laptops. These tweaks are relatively easy to perform and reasonable safe. Everything you do is on your own risk.
- Improve Performance in Ubuntu Edgy – Tricks and hacks on how to improve the overall performance of your system.
- Ubuntu: 32-bit v. 64-bit Performance – Not specific to system tweaking but a nice article comparing performance on a 32-bit vs. a 64-bit server.
- Best Ubuntu Guide Ever – This guide has everything you need.
- Tweak ubuntu for speed – These tweaks will make your system faster and more responsive without a doubt. Read on to perform the tweaks and enjoy your faster system.
- Ubuntu Customization Guide – About customization, we’re gonna make Ubuntu look and feel the way you want.
- Local DNS Cache for Faster Browsing – Nice article explaining how to use DNS caching to speed up internet browsing on your Ubuntu install.
- Super Fast Internet for Ubuntu – Basically you disable ipV6 which apparently conflicts with ipV4. Good post.
- Ubuntu/Linux Roundup – Good collection of links/articles for Ubuntu users.
- Ten tips for new Ubuntu users – Here’s a list of tips that might save you some time while you’re getting used to Ubuntu.
- 10 most popular Ubuntu sites on the net – You should definitely visit these top 10 sites which have a wealth of information on using and troubleshooting in Ubuntu.
If you’d like to contribute to this list, please add in comment field. Thanks!!!